Earlier in the COVID-19 pandemic, JFS suspended regular home visits with seniors and nonessential transportation services. Due to low COVID case rates in the Spokane area (as of April 2022), the agency has started phasing in senior visits, more wide-ranging transportation assistance, in-person senior luncheons, and so on. Here are some of the ways JFS currently serves the community at large:
- Consultations focused on clients’ strengths and challenges
- Referrals to relevant community resources
- Advocacy from a social work perspective (for situations that do not warrant legal aid)
- Reassurance and empathetic listening, in person or via phone or Zoom
- Food assistance from the JFS food bank, which stocks nutritious, shelf-stable food items and delivers to clients who cannot come to JFS
- Financial assistance for clients who need help paying for rent, utility bills, or other basics
- Transportation assistance for medical appointments or essential errands (vaccinated clients only)
- Medical lending closet, which stores wheelchairs, walkers, shower chairs, and canes to lend to those in need (all items sanitized before and after lending)
- JFS Luncheons (suggested donation $7-$10; no one turned away for lack of funds), which include a catered meal and a talk, film screening, live musical performance, or excursion
Seniors benefit from our services and programs, whether that means socializing and learning at the monthly JFS Luncheon; borrowing a walker from our medical lending closet; getting a ride from JFS to a medical appointment or Jewish community event; or simply knowing they have an unbreakable link to a community that cares.
Many of our senior clients do not live near family members who can provide support and care. JFS can be the connection between older adults and their distant families. We keep relatives informed about the health and well-being of their families and recommend plans for the future. Please contact us if you need help caring for someone you love.
|Senior visits||Senior phone or Zoom “visits”||Senior contacts||Senior service incidents||Non-senior service incidents||Total service incidents||Lbs. food distributed||Luncheon attendance||Virtual program attendance|